It's been a long time since I've had a race that I didn't consider disappointing. I'm hoping I've covered at least one of my reasons for slowness with liquid calories. I think I did last year's Teaberry 50 with about 200-300 calories for the whole day because my stomach felt full every time I tried to eat something. Similar stories at the 100 and 101 last year. So yesterday, I drank 280 calories per hour for the first 4 hours, then ate a couple gels after the last aid. BTW, where the hell were the beers at aid 3?? That calorie drink also had caffeine in it, which was a good thing since I couldn't fall asleep Saturday night, and finally dozed from 4:00-6:30 AM. Maybe quitting the beers and drinking 3 pints of this electrolyte mix between 10 & midnight wasn't a good idea before sleep (supposedly no caffeine in there, but maybe something else)? Yea, I'm still learning this racing game, maybe I'll just go back to straight beers....
- having Barry here for the weekend and pump tracking, eating, and hydrating
- riding with Jody, Jolson, and Albert. Been several years since I could keep up with Albert in a race of any distance. Though he might have had problems yesterday, a broken frame, stem, fork, or bone might have knocked him out of the race. Either that, or he got around me somewhere without me noticing (Lollipop?) and finished, and hit the road long before I got in?
- was fun riding with Kegley & Todd
- the Campsite trails
- Kim and Oliver making it there, and Oliver winning the kids race (and saying he wants a much longer race)
- Roy Ritz
Not so fun
- that trail at the bottom of Canada Hollow
- a friend's bad back being bad