Wednesday, March 08, 2006

lost and found

I rode to work today, a beautiful clear & calm 25-degree start.  But, that isn't the story today.  In the locker room of the Health Club where I shower, I find a wallet in an empty locker.  A leather wallet, stuffed so fat that it can't fully close, bills thick enough that they're poking out the edge.  So I grab it and take it to the Manager, and she opens it to find out who's it is and says she'll call him.
 
After I shower, while I'm getting dressed, a guy comes in, goes straight to the locker where my stuff is now stored, looks in, turns around and leaves.  I asked him if he was looking for his wallet, and he said yes.  I told him I took it up to the office.  He said, in an annoyed tone, "thanks".
 
I guess I expect too much.  Most people in this office park health club know, or at least recognize, everyone else.  This guy is new there.  I guess I expected a more hearty thank you, and maybe a "nice to meet you".  Seems like that would've taken a lot less energy than having to reclaim your life after an identity theft.

4 comments:

rickyd said...

Ne'ermind him. You done good.

the buKit said...

You did the right thing. I'm with you though, it surprises me sometimes people's reactions when you try and help 'em out...

butch said...

This is a classic example of what I've been observing since I moved to this area almost 2 years ago.

Theory:
The NoVa/DC area contains a high per capita of a$$holes.
There are a lot of self-absorbed a$$holes who are fixated on their own self importance to be cool with their fellow peoples. The mentality of assholery is a way of life for these people.

gwadzilla said...

bet the money was gone